Friday, January 26, 2007

A Novel Idea

Move over Stephen King, technology has made your legendary writing skills obsolete.

Finnish author Hannu Luntiala recently published a 332 page novel that consists of nothing but text messages. At first glance, I was appalled that someone would publish a novel of text messages. Call me old fashioned, but writing, storytelling and grammar matter to me.

However, upon reflection, I believe that there is definitely a place for this type of book in the literary world. Instead of thinking of the traditional novel, this edgy and fresh type of story is basically a technology based diary.

While I would never want to see the breathtaking skills of someone like Stephen King or John Grisham replaced by a text message novel, I do believe that there is a place for both on my bookshelf.

No comments: